General Category > TMC3in1 FAQ

My torch dives into the metal when I start cutting?

(1/1)

Beginner:
My torch dives into the metal when I start cutting?
What ca I do to fix this?

RandyRay:
The first thing to do is make sure you check the box for Stop THC response when X-Y Velocity is less than N %.

At slow speeds, the tip voltage increases, and in order to reach the commanded tip volts, the torch will be lowered, sometimes causing a tip crash.  This is an Antidive feature to prevent the torch from diving due to slow velocities at the beginning of a cut, the end of a cut, and in corners.
The second thing to try is to increase your commanded tip volts by 5 to 20 volts higher than what the manual says.  If your tip does not crash or drag at the higher voltage setting, then there is a discrepancy between the manual and your system at these settings.  You can either remember to set higher than the manual calls for, or you can adjust your THC Offset volts to make a more permanent compensation.  You may need to go negative or positive with your compensation voltage in the THC Offset Voltage field.

Worn out consumables…
Normally you will see a decrease in cut quality when your consumables (tips) wear out.  However, if you really continue using a worn out tip, it may blow out or:
The Thermodyne manual stated that a cut height of 0.110” and a Tip Voltage of 126V was ideal.
Old Consumable: Commanded (and controlled to) Tip Volts 142V gave a height of 0.042”   
New Consumable: Commanded (and controlled to) Tip Volts 142V gave a height of 0.250”
New Consumable: Commanded (and controlled to) Tip Volts 130V gave a height of 0.115”

Please refer to the Vol 4 FAQ and Troubleshooting Guide under Q8 for photos of the settings in question.

Randy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version